The majority of the Foundation’s grant budget each year is devoted to the approximately 90 continuing programs it funds. These are programs, located across the province, funded by the Foundation on an annual, ongoing basis.
There are also funds available each year to support projects and other initiatives falling within the Foundation’s five mandate areas — legal aid, legal education, legal research, law reform and law libraries — for the benefit of British Columbians. Here is information about current funding opportunities.
To receive updates on upcoming funding initiatives, you can sign up for our mailing list HERE.
Funding of up to $75,000 for one-time projects.
- March: Applications due
- April: Shortlisting of Applications
- June: Funding adjudication
- must be submitted by a non-profit organization
- must fall within one or more of the Foundation’s five mandated areas
- must establish a clear benefit to the people of British Columbia
Please contact Law Foundation staff at 1-604-688-2337 to discuss your project before preparing your application. This is an opportunity to get assistance/feedback on your project idea and how it relates to the Law Foundation’s mandate.
Legal Research Fund
Funding of up to $20,000 for one-time legal research projects.
Awards of up to $17,000 (subject to change) available to full-time students engaged in graduate studies in law or a law-related area.
Public Interest Law Participation Fund
An annual fund of $100,000 established by the Law Foundation of BC to enhance public participation in public interest law matters in British Columbia.
- Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis
- Any organization or individual resident in British Columbia may apply.
- Applicants will be given priority if they demonstrate that their participation would not be possible without the requested funding, and that their participation will broaden the diversity, inclusiveness and balance of views being discussed.